Questions on: Mushrooms
Ron Smith, Horticulturist, NDSU Extension Service
Q: I read all the information on preserving flowers that you have on the Internet. Can I use one of the methods you describe for preserving big, wild mushrooms? I would like to use them with a flower arrangement. I would appreciate whatever information you can give me. Thank you so much. (e-mail reference)
A: Sorry, I don't know the answer. You might check out the following Web site, http://cabd0.tripod.com/cabsmushroompage/id9.html, to see if there is anything there that will answer your question.
Q: Is there a product we can use on our lawn to get rid of mushrooms? This summer we've even had mushrooms in the sunniest, driest part of our yard!
Also, I have a flower bed next to the foundation on the south side of our house. Three sides of the bed are surrounded by a small brick/cement wall so the entire bed is enclosed in cement. For the last eight summers we have tried to grow a variety of flowers and/or shrubs in this bed with absolutely no luck. We've replaced some of the dirt and added mulch and compost but whatever we plant dies. Any suggestions? (Jamestown, N.D.)
A: First, there is no known chemical product that can be applied to control mushrooms. They will eventually decrease and disappear.
And second, my best guess is that the plants are being killed off by extreme heat buildup. If there is no free drainage, that too could be a problem! Try planting some heat-loving plants such as potentilla, vinca, and portulaca. If those plants die, then it is something else that is doing them in. Do you get any weed growth? If not, then a toxic residue is there and all soil needs removing.
Q: How can I remove mushrooms from my lawn? (Grafton, N.D.)
A: Order some dry weather! Seriously, there are no effective means of ridding the lawn of mushrooms.
These are the fruiting bodies of decay fungi that are activated during wet weather. When the soil dries, the mushrooms disappear.
I suggest mowing with a bagger, or go out and practice your golf swing. Their source is decaying organic matter in the soilusually old tree roots or stumps or rotting construction debris.
Back to the Hortiscope Table of Contents